This lecture presentation explains
- what amounts to a misrepresentation
- how the nature and effect of misrepresentations differ from those of other legal concepts such as mere puffs and terms and the doctrine of operative mistake
- the requirements of an actionable misrepresentation
- the remedies available (including how damages are assessed and how this differs from damages for breach of contract).
- note that an explanation of how the courts decide whether a statement is a term or merely a representation are covered in the recording on contractual terms. And the discussion of clauses attempting to exclude liability for misrepresentation is included in the recording on the regulation of unfair terms.
Duration: 66 minutes (approx)
Lecturer: Gianni Vuolo