In this lecture we look at how the rules on duty in negligence apply to public bodies, that is authorities funded by and exercising functions for the public generally, whether operating on a national or local level. This is a complex area of study and so the recording begins with a general overview of the issues involved.
We then look specifically at the position of the police, and then at that of bodies with statutory duties or powers – these include the Health Services, education authorities, social services, local councils etc
Duration: 68 minutes (approx)
Lecturer: Gianni Vuolo
Order securely online and get immediate access to the lecture.
More recordings in the Law of Tort
- Breach of duty
- Causation and remoteness
- Common law torts relating to land.
- Defamation Q&A
- Liability for omissions
- Negligence – economic loss
- Negligence – liability for words Q&A
- Negligence – psychiatric harm
- Negligence – psychiatric harm Q&A
- Nuisance and Rylands v Fletcher Q&A
- Occupiers Liability Q&A
- Public bodies
- Tort part A 2019 – Mulheron: ‘Legislating Dangerously’